Respect for all aspects of Life

Life is from God.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Tax Collector, the Pharisee “O God, Be Merciful to Me, a Sinner”

“O God, Be Merciful to Me, A sinner” Which of the two people in today’s Gospel do we relate to more readily? the Pharisee or the tax collector?

In Jesus time the Pharisees represented the intellectual sector of the people. They were contentious students of Jewish religious law. They were self righteous as can be seen by the statement. “I thank you that I am not like the rest of uhumanity.”

The tax collector was hated by the people because he, a Jew, took from them money that supported the works of the Roman Emperor, who was their occupier.

The Gospel passage says, “Two people (Not Pharisee or tax collector) went up to the temple to pray. St. Francis of Assisi has said, “What a man is in the sight of God, so much is he, and no more.”

The tax collector went home justified. “For whoever humbles himself will be exalted, but whoever exalts himself will be humbled.”

“O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.”

Most of us will shy away from comparing ourselves to the Pharisee. But are we able and willing to say, “I am like the tax collector”? Who stood at the back of the temple in the shadows, and not raising his eyes to heaven, beat his breast and asked for mercy, knowing and acknowledging his sinfulness -- knowing who he really was.

When we are not feeling well and go to the doctor, the first thing he does is ask us, “Where does it hurt? What symptoms have you had?” He then does a medical exam and from the results of all that, he will make a diagnosis and prescribe medicine and treatment. But often times we put off going to the doctor and even with the prescription in hand we don’t get it filled. Nor, often times, do we follow the physician’s directions for our cure.

One of the enfeebling maladies of our soul is that of unforgiveness. We carry grudges and won’t let them go. However in Mt 6:14 Jesus tells us, “For if you forgive men their offences, your heavenly Father will also forgive you your offences. But, if you do not forgive man, neither will your Father forgive you your offences.”

Out of unforgiveness comes anger, which is part of the fifth commandment. In Mt 5:22 Jesus says, “You have heard that it was said, ‘Thou shall not kill.’ And that whoever shall kill shall be liable to judgment. But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother thou fool shall be liable to the fire of Gahenna- that is to hell.”

In St. Paul’s letter this morning we hear him say, “At my first defense no one appeared on my behalf, but everyone deserted me, may it not be held against them.” And then he says, “But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength.”

When we act like Christ when it is the most difficult to do so it is then that he will come to our aid at once. We hear that in the first reading from Sirach and in the responsorial psalm, “The Lord hears the cry of the poor that is of the humble.”

Listen to the words of the Pharisee in his self righteous justification, “O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity, greedy, dishonest, and adulterous or even like this tax collector.” He judges others unjustly and then tells God how good he is, “I fast twice a week, and pay tithes of my whole income.” Jesus says the Pharisee’s prayer was not heard. He did not return to his house justified.

How are we to worship God so as to be heard and to be justified? In Jn. 4:24 Jesus said to the Samaritan woman at the well, “God is spirit, and they who worship Him must worship in Spirit and in truth.” In another place Jesus said to Thomas “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

The tax collector knew he was sick. His sickness was his inherited sinfulness. We want to think of ourselves as good. Someone called Jesus good Master and he said why do you call me good? For no one is good save God alone. We are sick and to the question, where does it hurt? We answer, “It hurts in my soul.” My Soul which is made in the image and likeness of God and which must be kept pure and clean so that His image can shine through. “O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.” This must be our prayer also. It is the only one that will begin to bring healing.

The Tax collector was a humble man. He knew he needed God, so must it be with each of us. Jesus is our divine physician. Only he can heal us. His cure is himself. Through our baptism he has taken the place of self within us.

St. Paul knew this reality, better than anyone. In Gal 2:20 He says this, “With Christ I am nailed to the cross, it is no longer I that live, but Christ lives in me. And the life that I now live in the flesh, I live in the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” He says to us today, “Beloved I am already being poured out life a libation, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have competed well. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith.” When the time of our departure comes will we be able to say the same?

In Romans 8 St. Paul speaks of the flesh and the spirit, “for the wisdom of the flesh is hostile to God. For it is not subject to the law of God nor can it be. And they who are carnal cannot please God. If anyone does not have the spirit of Christ. He does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, the body, it is true, is dead by reason of sin. But the spirit is life by reason of justification.

Jesus said, “I am the vine, you are the braches. Remain in me as I remain in you that you may bring forth fruit in abundance.”

“O God, be merciful to me, a sinner” is the prayer of the humble man who knows he must rely on God in every circumstance of his life.

Forgive and you will be forgiven. For with what measure you measure with it will be measured back to you.”

No comments: