Respect for all aspects of Life

Life is from God.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Catholic Marriage is a sacrament and is the rock of our culture

When a couple comes to the Church to speak to a priest or to a deacon they are taking the first step toward their wedding day in the Church. The preparation for marriage is a crucial first step. In it they will begin to examine their true feelings and motives. Do I want to make a lifetime commitment to this person sitting next to me? Am I basing my hopes and dreams on reality. Love is not a feeling or an emotion but rather it is a donation of myself to the marriage vows that I will repeat before the congregation and the priest or deacon who will represent Christ and His Church.

The priest will say:John and Mary,have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage? Will you love and honor each other as man and wife for the rest of your lives?

Will you accept children lovingly from God, and bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church?

The Bridegroom and the bride each say the following. "I, John, take you, Mary, to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health: I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.

The priest now says: "You have declared your consent before the Church. May the Lord in his goodness strengthen your consent and fill you both with his blessings. What God has joined men must not divide. Amen

The priest began by asking the couple to state their intentions. They then each make a solemn vow, one to the other. It is upon these intentions and vows that the couple will help to sanctify one another in holiness, and to grow in maturity. It is upon these acts that families are established and civilization and culture made safe. True love, the love of God is established and grows in families. Selfishness is put down by selfless love. Children grow in love in such an environment. Jesus told St. Paul, who had asked Christ to remove a difficulty in his life, NO he would not but that his grace was sufficient for him. Pope John Paul II called our present society a, "culture of death" because of abortion, contraception and offences against the 6th commandment. The leaders of the Church and of families must resolve to live the truth as proclaimed by the Church which is Christ no matter the opposition or difficulty. God bless you and keep you!














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear you are doing well. I was worried about contacting you.

I read your new blog and absorbed your words like a sponge. I read them all! Oh how I miss your homilies. So much truth do you speak.

I can relate to the scripture you use in support of your arguements. Because I read it every day,study it, reflect on it, and believe in it-the truth and beauty of God's Word! The problem is that no one is reading it! I want to change that.

Tom 2/06/2010